Saturday, November 23, 2013
How to grow dragonfruit
Dragon fruit is a very exotic fruit it is originally from Central America and now is grown in various regions such as Asia, Israel and Nicaragua. Dragon fruit is high in vitamin C, Vitamin B, B1 , B2 and B3. It has been used as a holistic remedy for improving the appetite, reducing bad cholesterol, and respiratory ailments. The Dragon fruit is a beautiful fruit that ranges in colors pink, white, red and purple.
Despite the dragons fruits wild exotic look it is relatively easy to grow. Since it grows in tropical regions it is not easily grown in all zone. However, growing a dragon fruit indoors is not impossible. I will address from start to finish how to grow a dragon fruit.
1. Find a healthy ripe dragon fruit.
2. Split the fruit in half
3. Scrape out the visible seeds and submerge them in water
4. Allow the seeds to soak in the water for 3 days
5. Remove the seeds from the water and place them on a paper towel
6. Allow the seeds to air dry on the paper towel for 3 days
7. Scrape the seeds off of the paper towel and store them in a paper or plastic bag
8. Make a soil mixture of coco fiber and desert sand dirt ( you can also use cactus soil)
9. After the soil mix is completed place it in a 4 inch pot
10 Thoroughly water the soil and place the seeds on top of it.
11. Cover the pot with a ziplock bag for 3 days and put in indirect sunlight
12. Seedlings should emerge in 1 to 2 weeks.